Going to the Doctor

It’s very important to access treatment as early as possible, as earlier treatment means a greater chance of fully recovering from your eating disorder. Your first point of contact in the health care system is likely to be your general practitioner (GP). They’ll be responsible for your initial diagnosis and should help to coordinate your care, at least in the early stages of treatment. If they determine you may have an eating disorder, they should refer you to an eating disorders specialist.

We would always suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor if you think you have an eating disorder or are worried about your relationship with food, your body image, or your exercise habits.

We’ve put together a resource for anyone visiting the GP for the first time – this is intended to help you get a referral for specialist assessment, and you can download it from our information library. Before you visit the GP, you might find it helpful to write down questions you want to ask, the symptoms you’ve experienced, or any behaviour that you’re worried about, so that you won’t feel put on the spot during the appointment. A family member or friend could also do this for you, or you may want to bring them along with you so that they can support you.