The researchers are looking for people who:
· Had Bulimia Nervosa in the past and have been recovered for 6 months or more
· Often have eating binges and do not do behaviours (e.g., vomiting or taking laxatives) to try to counteract the effects of eating in this way.
· Are aged 18 - 30 years old
· Live in or near London
· Are fluent in English
The eating disorders (EDs) anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder are common, affecting up to 15% of young women and up to 4% of young men in developed countries. Their cause is complex, and their development influenced by environmental, psychological and biological factors that may interact to increase the risk. There is also broad acceptance that EDs are brain-based disorders. Identifying true risk factors and understanding how they contribute to the development of EDs will be crucial for improving prevention and treatment.
To study this and understand how EDs develop, we use data collected from many young adults with current or previous experience of ED.
As a participant in the study, you will:
· Complete some online questionnaires
· Complete an online interview with a member of our research team
· Complete an in-person assessment, which will involve
o Answering some questionnaires and computer tasks
o Providing blood and a urine sample
o Undergoing an MRI scan
Upon completion, you will be compensated £ 100 and receive an image of your brain
If you are interested, or not sure if you can participate, feel free to contact the researchers by by email: firstname.lastname@example.org