Beyond the Symptoms: Birmingham
Beyond the Symptoms is a one-day interactive training course for Primary Care clinicians, including GPs, Practice and Diabetes Nurses, Dentists, Cardiologists, Gastroenterologists, Dermatologists, Emergency staff (etc).
By attending this training participants will improve their understanding of:
- Common challenges Primary Care staff experience when identifying and treating people with eating disorders.
- The lived experience of eating disorders in Primary Care settings.
- Eating disorders and how to spot the signs.
- How Primary Care staff should identify and approach people with eating disorders.
- Nice guidance on eating disorders and the importance of early intervention.
- Beat support and training services.
- Recommended reading.
Additional topics will include:
- Prevalence of eating disorders and the cost to sufferers, carers, the NHS and society.
- Risk factors and people most at risk of developing eating disorders
- Physical, psychological and psycho-social symptoms experienced by people with eating disorders
- Diagnostic criteria for anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder and brief overview of the lesser known eating disorders, OSFED, ARFID, Rumination Disorder and Pica
- The vicious cycle of starvation
- Obesity and eating disorders
- Primary Care Screening tools
- What to say and what not to say to people with eating disorders
- Overcoming barriers to people disclosing they have an eating disorder
- Assessing and enhancing motivation for change
- Risk management guidelines
- Learning from the Averil Hart tragedy